Women in music are inspiring with their creativity, power and ability to make amazing music. Whether it be Janis Joplin with her raspy vocals, Kate Miller- Heidke’s ability to move audiences with her haunting vocals or Madonna’s brave stereotype smashing, women in music are amazing.
So today we are celebrating amazing women in music on International Women’s Day by asking amazing women in music who inspire them.
Melbourne-based singer-songwriter Lucy Wise sings songs that explore themes of love, joy and sadness, friendships and the relationships people form with their environment, and shows a strong artistic development since her last release back in 2015.
Lucy Wise let us know about the women that inspire her.
- Joni Mitchell – The way Joni taps into deep human emotions, and her devotion to her craft, has always been so inspiring for me as a songwriter.
- Emily Connors – Emily is an urban farmer who takes care of a market garden on the Merri Creek in Melbourne. She has created a community around the garden through weekly farm gate sales, running volunteering programs there, and through holding events such as ‘weed dating’ and the Tamil feasts; helping locals to connect with the land, each other and with locally grown food.
- Loren Kate – An incredible Australian musician who puts her whole heart into her music and community building projects.
- Ilka White – An Australian textile artist, sculptor and educator who is a deep thinker, is passionate and very sharing of her skills and knowledge with anyone who is eager to learn.
- Alexandra Steffan – A wonderful poet who lives in Darwin, whose insightful poetry gives the listener the confidence to dive headfirst into life, no matter what.
Lucy Wise has a new album Winter Sun out 6 April / touring across May!